Wednesday 27 January 2016

DIY cuticle oil

So I’m scraping out the bottom of my bottle of my Orly color care cuticle and need to replace it. However I didn’t really want to buy more. I had heard that coconut oil was good for nails and so did some googling and found this recipe from saynotsweetann (http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/diy-cuticle-oil-free-printable/) for a DIY cuticle oil and thought that sounds good, I’ll give it a go.


The first thing I did was go online and order some empty nail polish bottles (see up coming post Empty nail polish bottles to see how i use them). I got mine from digiflex on trade me in a set of six so that I could make multiple.

As I only wanted an oil not a lotion there were very few steps involved in this and few ingredients all of which I had at home. I also only wanted to fill one nail polish as a trial so made a small batch.

This is what I did:
Melted one teaspoon of Coconut oil in the oven (don’t have a microwave)
Then added a few drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil, orange Essential Oil (instead of grapefruit oil) and Peppermint Essential Oil
Mix it together and tipped into the bottle.

I then tried it and it works well and was very happy with it, but the next morning the coconut oil had solidified again so I had to melt it again.

I did this in the oven again but I will melt in your hands or in direct sunlight, however I found this inconvenient if I have to do that every morning and not very good as gifts for people.



So I tried a different recipe.

After a lot of searching on the internet I found a lot of different recipes with a lot of different variations of the recipe I used originally.
So in the end I decided to melt what I had and add a table spoon of olive oil and put it into the bottles.

I think this worked well and I now have 2 little 6ml bottle of cuticle oil to give as gifts and I have put the rest in my old empty ORLY cuticle oil bottle (11ml) with my home made version.


the home made version is less moistening than than my old ORLY cuticle oil, but this was cheep, inexpensive and fun to make and its a good alternative to buying cuticle oil.



UPDATE:
the new formula also freezes over night if it gets cold but this has only happened to me once. (although it has bean summer).

No comments:

Post a Comment